[Openstack-operators] FYI: Rabbit Heartbeat Patch Landed

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Fri Mar 20 14:39:47 UTC 2015

We have other supporting services that require RabbitMQ and since they only
accept a single host in their connection config, we need a more reliable
way for them to connect. Those services work just fine with
HAProxy/RabbitMQ.

The OpenStack HA guide
<http://docs.openstack.org/high-availability-guide/content/_configure_openstack_services_to_use_rabbitmq.html>
is the only document I've come across that talks about connecting to
RabbitMQ by way of multiple hosts. Even the RabbitMQ docs
<http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html> mention the use of a load
balancer, DNS round robin, etc.

So when someone reads up on RabbitMQ outside of the HA guide and sees that
it works well with HAProxy for other services, I think it's understandable
that they would attempt to connect OpenStack to RabbitMQ via HAProxy.