[Openstack-operators] Hypervisor decision

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Thu Mar 19 16:05:18 UTC 2015

So, in the pets vs cattle cloud philosophy, you want to be able to have as many cattle as you need, rather then limit the sets to a smaller number of more pet like things.

kvm allows unlimited numbers of vm's, which is very cloudy. but due to Windows licensing, tends to only work well with linux/bsd VM's.

Windows is a whole nother kettle of fish. They either license it per vm, which is very pet like, or alternately, the more cattle friendly way is to buy a DataCenter* version of windows.

Each hypervisor needs to be the DataCenter version, but it allows you to run unlimited Windows VM's on that hypervisor. So if you want to run lots of windows cattle, its can be the way to go.

Due to its high cost, it does not usually make sense to run all your linux vm's on Windows DataCenter version, so you run both kvm for linux/bsd vm's and Windows DataCenter licensed hyperv for windows vm's.

* http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/virtualization.aspx

Thanks,
Kevin