[Openstack-operators] MTU on router interface (neutron & GRE) without jumbo

Joseph Bajin josephbajin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 18:52:37 UTC 2015

The size of MTU only really matters for the server and client.   The
between connections need to be larger than the packets that are being sent.

Scenario 1:
Server - 1400 MTU
Client - 1400  MTU
Switches - 9216 MTU
OVS - 1500 MTU

Result: Successful - Traffic passes without any issue

Scenario 2:
Server - 1520 MTU
Client - 1520  MTU
Switches - 1516 MTU
OVS - 1500 MTU

Result: Failure - Traffic will have issues passing through.

So just make sure everything in-between is higher than your server and
client.

--Joe