[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev][openstack-operators][rally] What's new in Rally v0.0.2

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Thu Mar 12 17:03:26 UTC 2015

Hi stackers,

For those who doesn't know Rally team started making releases.

There are 3 major reasons why we started doing releases:

 * A lot of people started using Rally in their CI/CD.

    Usually they don't like to depend on something that is from master.
    And would like to have smooth testable upgrades between versions

 * Rally is used in gates of many projects.

    As far as you know in Rally everything is plugable. These plugins can be
    put  in project tree. This is nice flexibility for all projects. But it
blocks a lot
   development of Rally. To resolve this issue we are going to allow
projects t
   specify which version of Rally to run in their trees. This resolves 2
issues:
   1) projects gates won't depend on Rally master
   2) projects have smooth, no downtime, testable way to switch to newer
       version of Rally

 * Release notes - as a simple way to track project changes.

Release stats:
+------------------+-----------------+
| Commits          |     **100**     |
+------------------+-----------------+
| Bug fixes        |     **18**      |
+------------------+-----------------+
| Dev cycle        |   **45 days**   |
+------------------+-----------------+
| Release date     | **12/Mar/2015** |
+------------------+-----------------+

Release notes:

https://rally.readthedocs.org/en/latest/release_notes/v0.0.2.html

Pypi:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/rally/0.0.2

Future goals:

Our goal is to cut releases ever 2 weeks.  As far as project is quite
bugless and stable we don't need feature freeze at all, so I don't think
that it will be hard to achieve this goal.

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic