[Openstack-operators] [nova] Deprecation of ComputeFilter

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:25:23 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 10:54 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On 3/6/15 10:48 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>>
>> Have you ever done this in practice?
>>
>> One way of doing this would be to enable the host after adding it to a
>> host aggregate that only has your administrative tenant allowed. Then
>> launch an instance specifying some host aggregate extra_spec tag and the
>> launch request will go to that host...
>
> At Rackspace scheduling builds against disabled hosts has been done, or
> I am misremembering.

Cool, good to know. Just trying to get my head around the use cases.

> As I did say, there are probably other ways around it. A host group AZ
> might just work.

Yeah, I think a solution that doesn't rely on a CONF option would be my
preference. Allowing administrative override of scheduling decisions
entirely is OK, I guess. But I'd almost prefer an ability that simply
sidesteps the scheduler altogether and allows the admin to directly
launch an instance on a compute node directly without even needing to go
through the RESTful tenant API at all.

Anyway, something to ponder...

Best,
-jay