[Openstack-operators] Adding network node (Neutron agents) and test before deploying customer resource

Toshikazu Ichikawa ichikawa.toshikazu at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Mar 6 08:35:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

Here is my additional thought.

Nova provides "/v2/{tenant_id}/os-services" API[3] which is to block
scheduling for a service. Cinder also has "/v1/{tenant_id}/os-services"
API[4]. When a service (nova-compute or cinder-volume) is disabled, the
service is not selected to accomodate a new VM or volume by scheduler. This
provides same concept as "admin_state_up=False" of Neutron. (Nova and Cinder
calls a process "service," where Neutron calls it "agent.")

The "enable_new_services" of Nova or Cinder is a config option included in
nova.conf or cinder.conf. The user can't change it through API. (I don't
think the user have to change it through API.) The default value is "true"
which means it enables services by default. I believe it's good choice as
only production environment requires to change it "false" with additional
setup cost of each service.

Therefore, I believe adding a config option such as "start_new_agents"
(default: "true") to neutron's configuration provides consistent experience
to operators to maintain nodes. The "true" value of "start_new_agents" makes
the agent status of "admin_state_up" "true" at the addition of agent (this
is current behavior). The "false" value makes it "false" for production
environment(new).

[3]
http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-v2-ext.html#ext-os-services

[4] you can call this one by CLI: "cinder service-enable/service-disable"

Thanks,

Kazu