[Openstack-operators] Instance memory overhead

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Tue Jun 23 16:12:30 UTC 2015

Not totally sure I am following - the output of free would help a lot.

However, the number you should be caring about is free +buffers/cache.  The reason for you discrepancy is you are including the cached in memory file system content that linux does in order to improve performance. On boxes with enough ram this can easily be 60+ GB.  When the system comes under memory pressure (from applications or the kernel wanting more memory) the kernel will remove any cached filesystem items to free up memory for processes.  This link [1] has a pretty good description of what I am talking about.

Either way, if you want to test to make sure this is a case of filesystem caching you can run:

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Which will tell linux to drop all filesystem cache from memory, and I bet a ton of your memory will show up.  Note: in doing so - you will affect the performance of the box.  Since what use to be an in memory lookup will now have to go to the filesystem.  However, over time the cache will re-establish.  You can find more examples of how caching interacts with other part of the linux memory system here: [2]

To your question about qemu process..  If you use ps aux, the columns VSZ and RSS will tell you are wanting.  VSZ is the virtual size (how much memory the process has asked the kernel for).  RSS is resident set side, or that actual amount of non-swapped memory the process is using.

[1] - http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
[2] - http://www.linuxatemyram.com/play.html

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer