[Openstack-operators] Gentoo image availability

Eren Türkay erent at skyatlas.com
Thu Jun 11 09:11:09 UTC 2015

On 10-06-2015 02:14, George Shuklin wrote:
> Aw. Don't discriminate DHCP. It has many nice features (for example, if you add
> new interface to existing VM, cloud-init with static config will ignore it, but
> DHCP will works like magic).
>
> I don't know how it works in Gentoo, but in Debian 'allow-hotplug' for all
> interfaces but eth0 allows to support most of the future interfaces. Same for
> CentOS - you can add few eth scripts to network configuration and they will
> works as soon as new interface appears.

I want to add to this comment. I believe this hot-plug feature for ethernet
devices is essential in the cloud environment. Short time ago I needed to move
port from one instance to another while keeping the internal IP address same. I
achieved it by removing a port from the old instance, re-creating the port with
the same ip address, and pluging it to the new instance.

The downtime was minimal as the instance supported hot-plug (ubuntu 14.04) and
the ip addresses were distributed using DHCP. When the interface was
re-plugged, dhclient requested an ip address and the DHCP server gave the
internal address of the port which I specified.

So, it would be really great if you can support hot-plugging for ethernet
devices and DHCP. I find them very useful and I believe many people would
expect this feature from Gentoo image.

Regards,

--
Eren Türkay, System Administrator
https://skyatlas.com/ | +90 850 885 0357

Yildiz Teknik Universitesi Davutpasa Kampusu
Teknopark Bolgesi, D2 Blok No:107
Esenler, Istanbul Pk.34220