[Openstack-operators] Managing security incidents: how to find the guilty VM ?

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 15:48:19 UTC 2015

I've tested briefly ulogd, and it basically works.

The only issue is that the "ulogd" daemon needs to run on the
qrouter-<uuid> namespace, therefore neutron should start ulogd daemon
on a router namespace whenever is created (and deleted whenever the
router is deleted).

Alternative solutions:

a) in case neutron supports "triggers" (but I don't think so), e.g.
shell commands that are executed whenever a namespace is created,
startup of ulogd could be executed by the trigger
b) update rootwrap IpFilter to use a wrapper around ip instead of
"ip". The wrapper should know what to do: run ulogd if "ip netns add"
is called, kill it if "ip netns delete" is called
c) [UGLY]: run a cron every tot seconds to ensure every qrouter-<uuid>
namespace has an instance of ulogd running on it.

Other suggestions?

.a.

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com