[Openstack-operators] Ceph backed 'boot from volume' downloading image

Caius Howcroft caius.howcroft at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 14:36:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

We (bloomberg) are preparing to roll out kilo into production and one
thing is causing a lot of grief. I wonder if anyone else has
encountered it.

We run BCPC (https://github.com/bloomberg/chef-bcpc) which is ceph
backed. When we boot an instance from volume the cinder create volume
from image function (
https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/stable/kilo/cinder/volume/drivers/rbd.py#L850)
ends up pulling the entire image through the glance API, so lots of
tenants doing this creates quite a bit of load on our API nodes.

We were confused why it did this, when its way more efficient to go
directly via rbd clone, we created a patch and tested and it seems to
work just fine (and an order of magnitude faster)
https://github.com/bloomberg/chef-bcpc/pull/742

So, the question is: what are other ceph backed installations doing ?

Caius

--
Caius Howcroft
@caiushowcroft