[Openstack-operators] Nova cells v2 and operational impacts

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jul 21 14:51:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Robert Collins
<robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On 22 July 2015 at 02:45, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
>> Heya,

>> So what's the actual question? We're introducing an additional mysql
>> database that every nova deployment will need to possess in Liberty.
>> We talked through having this data be in the existing database, but
>> that wasn't a plan that made us comfortable for various reasons. This
>> means that operators would need to do two db_syncs instead of one
>> during upgrades. We worry that this will be annoying to single cell
>> deployments.
>>
>> We therefore propose the following:
>>
>>  - all operators when they hit Liberty will need to add a new
>> connection string to their nova.conf which configures this new mysql
>> database, there will be a release note to remind you to do this.
>>  - we will add a flag which indicates if a db_sync should imply a sync
>> of the cells database as well. The default for this flag will be true.

> Will sites need to do some syncing or something to populate the new DB
> [data, not schema], or will the v2 code automatically do this itself?

Good question. My reading of
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/liberty/approved/cells-instance-migration.html
is that there will be a nova manage command which will need to be run
as part of the upgrade. That's once off though like the database
connection string configuration though.

Cheers,
Michael

--