[Openstack-operators] OSAD for RHEL

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 13:38:45 UTC 2015

On 9 July 2015 at 05:54, John Dewey <john at dewey.ws> wrote:

> IMO - registering the systems with subscription manager or pointing to in
> house yum repos should be included as part of system bootstrapping, and not
> a part of OSAD.  OSAD should simply install the specific packages for the
> alternate distro.

Agreed, trying to cater for all things that everyone wants in their
bootstrapping is a rabbit hole best not ventured into as it'll bloat the
project considerably.

> Might also be a good time to abstract the system packaging module into a
> higher level one which handles `yum` or `apt` behind the scenes.    We can
> then manage the list of packages per distro[1].  Throwing this out as an
> idea vs copy-paste every apt with a yum section.

Ansible appears to be building this abstraction already for v2 [1], but has
a means to do this in an alternative way [2].

[1]
https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-core/blob/devel/packaging/os/package.py
[2] http://serverfault.com/a/697736