[Openstack-operators] [all] SQL Schema Downgrades: A Good Idea?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Fri Jan 30 19:37:20 UTC 2015

Personally, I would also restore the databases in the current state of things. This means stopping the APIs before the backup and upgrade.

There are often other parts to the upgrade to roll back too which comes more into the packaging / configuration management domain. Rolling back a particular RPM to a previous version, disabling a new daemon which was needed with the latest version, removing the new parameters from the configuration file etc.

Looking forward, if we want online upgrades without API interruption, we do need to find a way to handle transactions which are happening at the time that the upgrade is running. A backup is good for rolling back but that also would mean cleaning up activities done while the upgrade was running.

Any ideas how are the online upgrade teams looking to address this ? Not an easy problem to solve.

Tim