[Openstack-operators] Deprecation of in tree EC2 API in Nova for Kilo release

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 21:31:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 08:38:02PM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:
> There are currently 35% of openstack clouds from the survey using this
> feature. I would therefore propose that this be reviewed with the
> operators in detail before a rapid depreciation is performed. To the
> best of my knowledge, the new package is not yet in use in production.
>
> At CERN, we are highly dependent on this function and while it does
> not provide 100% compatibility, it works pretty well.
>
> I would therefore propose that the new EC2 API modules are validated
> in production and at scale before depreciating the existing functions.
> I think validating, packaging and deploying to a reasonable number of
> clouds and reviewing it with the operators is a viable target for Kilo.
> This can then be reviewed in one of the joint developer/operator
> sessions for feasibility.

I'm in agreement with this.

While the EC2 code in Nova may not get much love, it is none the less,
clearly still a key feature for our userbase. We must demonstrate that
the alternative we're recommending is better than the existing code,
even if the existing code is mostly unmaintained.

I do think the out of tree EC2 code is likely to be a better long term
approach, but I think it is premature to deprecate what's currently in
Nova, and certainly not suggest removing it until the alternative is
proved viable in the real world.

So IMHO the sequence needs to be

 1. Demonstrate the new EC2 code is feature parity or better than
    current Nova EC2 code
 2. Some validation that it can cope with the scale of deployments
    that current code is
 3. Deprecate the Nova code
 4. Delete the Nova code

Regards,