[Openstack-operators] Small openstack (part 2), distributed glance

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:36:37 UTC 2015

Ok, news so far:

It works like a magic. Nova have option
[glance]
host=127.0.0.1

And I do not need to cheat with endpoint resolving (my initial plan was
to resolve glance endpoint to 127.0.0.1 with /etc/hosts magic). Normal
glance-api reply to external clients requests
(image-create/download/list/etc), and local glance-apis (per compute)
are used to connect to swift.

Glance registry works in normal mode (only on 'official' api servers).

I don't see any reason why we should centralize all traffic to swift
through special dedicated servers, investing in fast CPU and 10G links.

With that solution CPU load on glance-api is distributed evenly on all
compute nodes, and overall snapshot traffic (on ports) was cut down 3 times!

Why I didn't thought about this earlier?