[Openstack-operators] Way to check compute <-> rabbitmq connectivity

Jesse Keating jlk at bluebox.net
Thu Jan 15 16:28:33 UTC 2015

On 1/15/15 7:34 AM, Gustavo Randich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing some issues with nova-compute services not responding
> to rabbitmq messages, despite the service reporting OK state via
> periodic tasks. Apparently the TCP connection is open but in a stale or
> unresponsive state. This happens sporadically when there is some not yet
> understood network problem. Restarting nova-compute solves the problem.
>
> Is there any way, preferably via openstack API, to probe service
> responsiveness, i.e., that it consumes messages, so we can program an alert?

One strategy I've seen has been to monitor the queue sizes, and if they
start growing beyond a boundary than we know something isn't consuming
the messages correctly and can narrow down to which host is having issues.

This isn't all that elegant though, so I'm interested as well to see if
there is any way to trigger a particular nova process to send/consume a
message.

--
-jlk