[Openstack-operators] The state of nova-network to neutron migration

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 13 21:53:32 UTC 2015

Hi, I just wanted to make sure people know that a small group of us
got together in a hallway at linux.conf.au 2015 to talk about this. It
wasn't an attempt to exclude anyone, we just all happened to be in the
same place at the same time.

To that end, we made some notes from the chat, which are at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-network-migration-lca2015 .
Specific points to note are that Angus Lees has volunteered to help
Oleg with the spec for this, and that we'd very much like to see a
discussion of this at the Nova midcycle meetup in a couple of weeks.

I'd also like to call out that there's a link to the mailing list
thread where we discussed CERN's concerns in the etherpad for
reference as well.

Cheers,
Michael

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 3:59 AM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
> Rather than waste your time making excuses let me state where we are and
> where I would like to get to, also sharing my thoughts about how you can
> get involved if you want to see this happen as badly as I have been told
> you do.
>
> Where we are:
>     * a great deal of foundation work has been accomplished to achieve
> parity with nova-network and neutron to the extent that those involved
> are ready for migration plans to be formulated and be put in place
>     * a summit session happened with notes and intentions[0]
>     * people took responsibility and promptly got swamped with other
> responsibilities
>     * spec deadlines arose and in neutron's case have passed
>     * currently a neutron spec [1] is a work in progress (and it needs
> significant work still) and a nova spec is required and doesn't have a
> first draft or a champion
>
> Where I would like to get to:
>     * I need people in addition to Oleg Bondarev to be available to help
> come up with ideas and words to describe them to create the specs in a
> very short amount of time (Oleg is doing great work and is a fabulous
> person, yay Oleg, he just can't do this alone)
>     * specifically I need a contact on the nova side of this complex
> problem, similar to Oleg on the neutron side
>     * we need to have a way for people involved with this effort to find
> each other, talk to each other and track progress
>     * we need to have representation at both nova and neutron weekly
> meetings to communicate status and needs
>
> We are at K-2 and our current status is insufficient to expect this work
> will be accomplished by the end of K-3. I will be championing this work,
> in whatever state, so at least it doesn't fall off the map. If you would
> like to help this effort please get in contact. I will be thinking of
> ways to further this work and will be communicating to those who
> identify as affected by these decisions in the most effective methods of
> which I am capable.
>
> Thank you to all who have gotten us as far as well have gotten in this
> effort, it has been a long haul and you have all done great work. Let's
> keep going and finish this.
>
> Thank you,
> Anita.
>
> [0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-nova-nova-network-to-neutron