[Openstack-operators] Small openstack

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Sat Jan 10 01:10:29 UTC 2015

George,

>From past experience you can not have both nova and neutron security
groups enabled at the same time.

If you use nova security groups - then I believe they have the appropriate
stuff in place to prevent the arp spoofing and other associated stuff.
However - if you want the ability to apply egress filtering and something
else (its been a while) then you need to use neutron security groups.  If
you use neutron security groups - you must disable the nova security
groups.

I am trying to remember the exact issue, but I remember what effectively
happened is you could cause a condition in which no security groups were
being enforced. I think this was because of the order of rules being
applied in iptables itself - if a service was restarted (nova-compute or
the neutron-openvswitch-agent) it would insert its own rules at the top of
the chain ahead of the other service - which actually had the filtering
rules.   Which would result in the no filtering actually taking place.

If someone has this working and I am wrong on this - please let me know
what your working configuration is.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.