[Openstack-operators] [Cinder] volume / host relation

Arne Wiebalck Arne.Wiebalck at cern.ch
Wed Jan 7 13:42:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

Will a Cinder volume creation request ever timeout and be rescheduled in case the host with the volume service it has been scheduled to is not consuming the corresponding message?

Similarly: if the host the volume has been created on and to which later the deletion request is scheduled has disappeared (e.g. meanwhile retired), will the scheduler try to schedule to another host?

From what I see, the answer to both of these questions seems to be ’no'. Things can get stuck in these scenarios and can only be unblocked by resurrecting the down host or by manually changing the Cinder database.

Is my understanding correct?

Is there a way to tag hosts so that any of my Cinder hosts can pick up the creation (and in particular deletion) message? I tried with the “host” parameter in cinder.conf which seems to “work", but is probably not meant for this, in particular as it touches the services database and makes the hosts indistinguishable
(which in turn breaks cinder-manage).

How do people deal with this issue?

Thanks!
 Arne