[Openstack-operators] cinder v2 and cinder-client

Fischer, Matt matthew.fischer at twcable.com
Tue Feb 24 04:13:34 UTC 2015

I’m in the process of trying to cleanup all the deprecations we have after moving some services in Juno. One I have outstanding is this warning about cinder.

"The v1 api is deprecated and will be removed after the Juno release. You should set enable_v1_api=false and enable_v2_api=true in your cinder.conf file."

I played around with this some and I figured out a few things:

If you remove the v1 endpoint, cinder client breaks, cinder client breaks because it can’t find the volume service.
If you leave the v1 endpoint, and disable the v1 API, cinder client breaks with "ERROR: ‘volumes’” and the URL its using ends up having /v2/v1 which is obviously wrong.
If you remove the v1 endpoint, and disable the v1 API, cinder client breaks because it can’t find the volume service.

It is possible to pass in an API version to cinder client, but it can’t figure it out on it’s own apparently. I’ve not tried to see how Horizon reacts to this but a broken client is bad enough for me to question this change.

One option I have is to remove the V1 end point and rename the V2 endpoint to volume (rather than “volumev2”). I think then the client will figure things out. This will break people who have the v1 API in their scripts (and I bet our Icinga stuff might).

Another option is to ignore this and assume the client will be fixed.

What does everyone else do here?