[Openstack-operators] Neutron timeout issues

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Fri Feb 20 07:27:41 UTC 2015

> After our icehouse -> juno upgrade we are noticing sporadic but frequent errors from nova-metadata when trying to > serve metadata requests.  The error is the following:

>Is anyone else noticing this or frequent read timeouts when talking to neutron?  Have you found a solution?
> What  have you tried?

If it is metadata agent load related:
Are you caching the metadata info? (configure memcached_servers in nova.conf)
We noticed a huge benefit on the metadata agent performance.
Within our cloud the biggest load is created from facter (puppet) which will query the metadata agent.
This adds up to quite a lot of requests to the metadata agent quickly.

Adding caching significantly decreases the load on all systems.
(Without caching we have a VERY high nova-conductor load)

Cheers,
Rober van Leeuwen