[Openstack-operators] [Ceilometer] Real world experience with Ceilometer deployments - Feedback requested

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 01:59:02 UTC 2015

Ceilometer is in sad state.

1. Collector leaks memory. We ran it on same host with mongo, and it
grab 29Gb out of 32, leaving mongo with less than gig memory available.
2. Metering agent cause huge load on neutron-server. o(n) of metering
rules and tenants. Few bugs reported, one bugfix in review.
3. Metering agent simply do no work on multi-network-nodes installation.
It exepects all routers be on same host. Fixed or not - I don't know, we
have our own crude fix.
4. Many rough edges. Ceilometer much less tested than nova. Sometimes it
traces and skip counting. Fresh example: if metadata has '.' in the
name, ceilometer trace on it and did not count in glance usage.
5. Very slow on reports (using mongo's mapreduce).

Overall feeling: barely usable, but with my experience with cloud
billings, not the worst thing I saw in my life.

About load: except reporting and memory leaks, it use rather small
amount of resources.