[Openstack-operators] OpenStack node redundancy

Serguei Bezverkhi (sbezverk) sbezverk at cisco.com
Fri Dec 18 17:16:27 UTC 2015

Hello team,

I would appreciate if you could share approach you use for OpenStack node redundancy from network failure perspective. Example in case of a failure of an upstream switch and if a node does not have redundant link to a second upstream switch, it gets isolated. I understand that OpenStack will deal with this situation by removing this node, but in my case there is a strict requirement to be able to prevent a single switch failure.

Here is the solution I came up with, it is nothing new but appreciate your critic/comments/suggestions.

Redundant OpenStack is connected to two upstream switches, interfaces are teamed into group and bound to respective OpenStack bridges. So br-int would have physical link interface team0 and not eth0 or eth1 connected. In this case if one of the upstream links fails, the connectivity would be preserved.

Thank you

Serguei