[Openstack-operators] tooling for managing local patches - git-upstream

Darragh Bailey daragh.bailey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 18:03:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm the main author of git-upstream, looking to find out if operators
are making use of it and what improvements (and bugfixes) are of most
importance/interest.

Figured based on an email from before the Tokyo summit to this list
and a brief chat in the IRC room that this mailing list might have a
few users of the tool listening.

Brief description of git-upstream for those that may not have come
across it before:

It's a tool written in python, that can be used to keep in sync with
upstream open source projects, mainly targeted at OpenStack. It
supports re-aligning all locally carried patches, while using the
Gerrit ChangeId to automatically drop corresponding local patches as
they appear in the upstream project. Using the ChangeId allows for the
patch to be reworked to be accepted upstream while still dropping the
slightly different corresponding local change.

Idea behind its workflow, was to support keeping everything running
locally, while trying avoid manual intervention to consume upstream as
reworked patches were accepted. The goal, to support an automatic sync
with minimal intervention needed for conflict resolution due to
differences between local and what was accepted upstream.

Available via pypi: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/git-upstream

Also did a brief down talk on git-upstream with the help of the
vBrownBag sessions at Tokyo:
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kISi4NN1Az4
Slides - http://www.slideshare.net/DarraghBailey/syncing-withupstream

With a 15 minute time limit, I couldn't go into too much detail, but
hopefully there is enough there to get an idea of what's going on with
the tool.

---

With that out of the way, I'm currently looking to cut a new release
before the new year, and while I've a few bugs that I'd like to fix,
I'd really like to know if there are any other really annoying issues
with it current impacting users.

General roadmap of functionality to be added:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/git-upstream

Top three issues I'dlike to fix before releasing:
A subsequent sync fails where the last sync had the same contents in
the tree both before and after the sync (local patches are modifying
the same area as upstream did)
Similarly if the same change is landed locally twice (different
ChangeId) identical contents cause git-=upstream to exclude many local
changes
Possibly fix interactive mode bug where use of edit/reword is ignored
if no conflicts

If you have anything else, you can reply here or poke me in
#git-upstream on freenode (generally there between 9am-6pm UTC).

--
Darragh Bailey
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"