[Openstack-operators] orphaned ports

James King james at agentultra.com
Mon Aug 31 17:56:43 UTC 2015

Hello folks,

My name is James King and I’ve been a contributor to and operator of Openstack since 2012. I’m presently affiliated with Dreamhost and this is my first time posting to this list.

A colleague brought to my attention that during the past operators meeting someone mentioned as a pain point "orphaned ports issue." but there are more questions than answers on the etherpad.

DreamHost has seen issues that seem to be related to these 'orphaned ports' and logged a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1482392

Nova destroy doesn't wait for vif unplugged events from neutron when
destroying an instance. Neutron won't send a vif-plugged event if
the port doesn't change. This can break operations such as rebuild
if neutron fails to unplug interfaces and nova doesn't know about it.

and submitted a patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/210126/

On that review, there is a conversation ongoing with Nova developers where I think other operator's opinion would be valuable.

Do you see issues like those in the bug report? Do you think the patch is valuable?

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PAO-ops-burning-issues

Your feedback is appreciated