[Openstack-operators] Juno and Kilo Interoperability

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:13:45 UTC 2015

Yeah we run a multitude of versions at the same time. We usually run N and N-1 in the same env but have also done N-2 (eg. Havana, Icehouse and Juno)

Currently we are mainly Juno (keystone, heat, ceilometer, cinder) with a couple of icehouse things lying around. We are in the progress of upgrading to Kilo so some of our nova control is kilo now.

With clients the only issue I’ve had is with the designate client not being backwards compatible between icehouse and juno.
Ceilometer changed the way they signed messaged between Icehouse and Juno which was a pain so we had to set up parallel virtual hosts and collectors to push it into mongo.

All the APIs are pretty stable so it shouldn’t really matter what version of say keystone can work with what version of nova etc.
We basically take it for granted now although of course test in your own env.

With nova make sure you set upgrade_levels so your nova control can talk to you computes that are on version N-1 etc.

Sam