[Openstack-operators] IP - availability monitoring

Daniel Speichert daniel at speichert.pl
Mon Aug 24 00:23:20 UTC 2015

On 8/22/2015 23:24, Balaji Narayanan (பாலாஜி நாராயணன்) wrote:
> Hello Operators,
>
> In the capacity management discussions at the Ops Summit last week, I
> thought there was a some discussion on monitoring of fixed / floating
> subnets and availability.
>
> At Yahoo, we use nova-network and have an API extension available for
> reporting how much ip subnets are configured on a cluster and how much
> of them are used / remaining. We use this to trigger an alert /
> augment additional subnets to the cluster.
>
> If there is enough interest in this, we can look at pushing this upstrem.
>
> Here is a blue print that vilobh wrote initially for this -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/94299/
This sounds like a very useful extension, considering there's really no
quotas for IP addresses and IPs are a scarce resource.
I'm aware of multiple big private cloud operators using custom scripts
to generate reports of available IP addresses.

I'm pretty sure an extension like this would be great for neutron (I'm
not using nova-network). Considering that most networking scenarios
(flat, provider networks, floating IPs with L3) have subnets as a
resource in neutron, with allocation pools, it seems enough to create an
extension that would provide statistics for a subnet or summary
statistics for all subnets within a network if so requested.

I can work on a new blueprint version for neutron.

Regards,
Daniel Speichert