[Openstack-operators] what is the different in use Qcow2 or Raw in Ceph

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Aug 12 21:37:21 UTC 2015

Awesome. Thanks for the link. :)

Kevin
From: jonathan.proulx at gmail.com [jonathan.proulx at gmail.com] on behalf of Jonathan Proulx [jon at jonproulx.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:59 PM
To: Fox, Kevin M
Cc: Dmitry Borodaenko; David Medberry; openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Openstack-operators] what is the different in use Qcow2 or Raw in Ceph

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:
> I've experienced the opposite problem though. Downloading raw images and uploading them to the cloud is very slow. Doing it through qcow2 allows them to be compressed over the slow links. Ideally, the Ceph driver would take a qcow2 and convert it to raw on glance ingest rather then at boot.

There is a blueprint for this which if I read correctly has landed in
kilo (I'm still on juno and haven't started kilo testing yet):

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/basic-import-conversion

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159129/

I hope that it's landed because I too am really looking forward to that feature

-Jon