[Openstack-operators] Support for Python 2.6 in Swift

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Apr 29 20:08:13 UTC 2015

When Swift was first put in to production in 2010, it was deployed on Python 2.6 (Ubuntu Lucid). Since then, the Swift dev community has maintained Python2.6 compatibility because there have been reasonable assumptions that deployers are running on an LTS-style distro that has Py26. However, I think that assumption isn't true any more. Lucid is no longer supported (or won't be in a matter of hours), and all official Red Hat OpenStack packages require Py27.

Yes I know that officially OpenStack doesn't support Py26 any more. But we've had some 3rd party CI continually running tests under Py26 to ensure compatibility. Mostly we didn't want to break anyone who is running and older version of Python.

However, we the Swift developer community would like to drop support for Python 2.6. Will this cause problems for anyone? Is anyone running Swift today opposed to this change?

Please let me know. I will assume that no response means you support dropping Py26 support.

--John