[Openstack-operators] Sharing resources across OpenStack instances

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Thu Apr 23 22:46:36 UTC 2015

Makes sense.

> * Glance - Users want to transfer images and their associated metadata.

Also makes sense.

> * Cinder - Users want to transfer block devices, though this could be
> plausibly covered by Glance (vols -> images -> vols).

Yeah, there are a lot of ways to do this one. There's also snapshots and backups too. :/
I've often wanted to download a cinder volume as a qcow2 file.

I haven’t tried it, but https://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-paris-summit-2014/session-videos/presentation/glance-artifacts-it-and-39-s-not-just-for-images-anymore claims heat artifacts are working in juno. So maybe specifically heat resource transfer isn't needed if glance has it covered.

> * Manilla - Users want to transfer files or folder hierarchies.

Hmm.... So is rsync out of the question, or are you more interested in scheduling/managing transfers via the cloud?

> > Perhaps if the app store like functionality was simply http based, the
> > existing glance fetch image from http mechanism would already work.
>
> Seems reasonable, as long as you could give it a feed or endpoint to poll on
> a regular interval.
>

> > Another option would be for it to work similarly to yum/apt. You have
> > a set of repo's. You can search though the enabled repo's and install
> > stuff. Perhaps it has a yum-cron like "update the images that are
> > 'installed' daily" like feature...
>
> I think you're touching on a lot of important (and really good) ideas here, it
> seems like there are various plausible ways one could go about
>
> You've also touched on something that I've never really understood, which
> is why does Murano exist at all?
>
> This is obviously off-topic in the context of this particular discussion, but it
> seems to me like we already have something that can store objects and
> metadata (Glance) and something that handles application deployment and
> orchestration (Heat). It seems that the functionality of Murano should've
> naturally fell into these two projects with (a) Glance becoming a more
> general 'artifact' storage and metadata service and (b) Heat gaining the
> 'catalog' capability of Murano. In this way, specific applications would be
> represented by their own Heat templates, those templates could then be
> combined in an ad hoc way to build environments (which I believe is the
> terminology used in Murano) and then the the resulting composition would
> be orchestrated by Heat.
>
> Perhaps I am missing something fundamental which Murano does...

This was brought up precisely when Murano tried to incubate. And its one of the reasons a lot of functionality got pushed over into Glance I think. I'm not really sure where Murano fits long term in the picture either, but I do know for sure that the app catalog system needs some kind of UI, and if all the rest of the Murano bits get pushed into the other OpenStack projects, I'm guessing that will still be needed. Whether the result is still called Murano, or it ends up just being folded into Horizon's project, that may not matter. The important thing is there's an app catalog.

Thanks,
Kevin