[Openstack-operators] Migration from openvswitch to linuxbridge

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Tue Sep 30 14:34:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

Just wondering:
Did anyone do a migration from ovs to linuxbridge?

We are considering this due to reducing complexity and improving performance:
- Fewer moving parts = less that can go wrong
- We have hypervisores with the ovs eating a significant amount of cpu cycles (more than one cpu core)

However, it seems that there is more to it then just changing the config on the hypervisors and (hard) rebooting the instances.
>From what I have gathered there is stuff saved in the databases:
* neutron - ml2_port_bindings - This seems to be easily updated with some SQL statements.
* nova - instance_info_caches - This looks like it is going to be a problem, the whole network stuff is in here.
Although it is called cache it does not seem to be updated if you delete the content :(

Anyone tried this before? :)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen