[Openstack-operators] rbd ephemeral storage, very slow deleting...

Scott Kohler scott_kohler at sil.org
Wed Sep 24 20:43:16 UTC 2014

On 09/24/2014 04:29 PM, Abel Lopez wrote:
> This is expected behavior, unfortunately.
> I spoke to the ceph guys about this last year. When you delete an ‘image’ from a pool, the monitors (IIRC) don’t instantly know where all the segments are across all the OSDs, so it takes a while to find/delete each one.

We also saw this, and were especially alarmed at the high CPU load on
deletion. So we came up with a work-around that also makes for very fast
instance creation as well as deletion, if you are using Ceph:

Create a volume from the image first, then create an instance from that
bootable volume. Volume creation/deletion is quite fast, with down side
of a two-step process. We have a CLI script that has an instance up and
ssh-able in less than 4 minutes, including volume creation. booting and
selinux recalc on first boot. Deletes take about 30 seconds. FWIW.

--
Scott