[Openstack-operators] limit num instance-type per host

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 15:08:03 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around whether it's possible with the existing
scheduler filters, to put a limit per host on the number of instances per
instance-type/flavor? I don't think this is possible with the existing
filters or weights, but it seems like a fairly common requirement.

The issue I'm thinking of using this for is that of instance-to-host
fragmentation in homogenous deployments, where there is a tendency as the
zone approaches capacity to hit a utilisation ceiling - there are rarely
any "gaps" large enough for high vcpu count instances. I'm guessing that
limiting the number of smaller instances per host would help to alleviate
this.

Looks like knocking up such a filter wouldn't be too hard, just want to
check whether there is another way...?

--
Cheers,
~Blairo