[Openstack-operators] Install Guide for Ironic driver

Alvise Dorigo alvise.dorigo at pd.infn.it
Wed Sep 17 07:22:16 UTC 2014

Thank you Anne,
I've a question about that doc. It says in the middle:

"Configure Compute Service to use the Bare Metal Service
The Compute Service needs to be configured to use the Bare Metal
Service’s driver. The configuration file for the Compute Service is
typically located at /etc/nova/nova.conf. This configuration file must
be modified on the Compute Service’s controller nodes and compute nodes."

I'm puzzled: if I configure the controller node's nova.conf using

compute_driver=nova.virt.ironic.IronicDriver

I presume that I cannot instantiate anymore 'regular' virtual machine,
but only real node. Am I wrong ?

Can be the two methods (virtual and baremetal) be mixed in the same cloud ?
I mean: instantiate virtual machines on some compute node, and baremetal
using other compute nodes ?

thank you,

     Alvise