[Openstack-operators] Hypervisor free memory recommendations

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 18:14:13 UTC 2014

On 09/04/2014 01:51 PM, Juan José Pavlik Salles wrote:
> Hi Jay, I do agree about 10% being too much memory in big nodes, but
> right now we are using small ones (too small if you ask). These new
> nodes are 16GB so if I reserve 4 Gb for the dom0 I'd be loosing 25% of
> the available RAM. I was thinking about something like: if you have got
> less than 32GB give 10% of it to the dom0 and If you have got more than
> 32GB go with 4GB for the dom0.

I'd go with something like this:

  Host RAM           dom0/reserved host RAM
  ================== ======================
  16 - 32 GB	    2 GB
  32 - 64 GB         2.75 GB
  64 - 128 GB        3.50 GB
  128 - 256 GB       4.25 GB
  256+ GB            5.50 GB

If you have heavy packing of VMs (lots of tiny or small VMs), you may
want to add a half GB to the above, but not much more than that, IMO)

 > Maybe different environments will need
> different rules, but this should work in most standar deployments I'd
> say. Jay, you mentioned that big nodes running many VMs don't neet more
> than 4GB of dedicated RAM, haven't you ever had any swapping situation
> in that kind of scenarios?

No, not on the compute nodes, no. On the controller nodes, yes, but
that's a totally different thing :)

Best,
-jay