[Openstack-operators] multiple subnets in a single network

Alvise Dorigo alvise.dorigo at pd.infn.it
Wed Oct 29 08:05:08 UTC 2014

Hi,
I’ve tried to put two different subnets (10.0.0.0/24 and 11.0.0.0/24) in the same network created with neutron. The system lets me doing that. But when I create a VM and attach it to the network with 2 subnets, the dhcp apparently assigns an IP always from the second subnets address, and the VM is unable to contact the metadata IP (169.254.169.254).

I’m not a great expert of networking, so I’m wondering if it does make any sense creating two subnets like this, why the system doesn’t complain about it and why after allowing me doing that, the metadata server doesn’t work.

Does anybody can explain me more ?

thanks a lot!

   Alvise