[Openstack-operators] Ops Meetup to return in Paris - your ideas wanted!

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:29:53 UTC 2014

On 10/03/2014 03:07 PM, Rochelle.RochelleGrober wrote:
> Hey Tom and operators,
>
> Just wanted to say I volunteered to organize/drive the log
> rationalization effort.  I'm glad to see it on the Operators' schedule
> and added it to the working group schedule.  I should have more info out
> and better organized by the summit. I've already got a volunteer or
> two;-)  The etherpad I started is:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Log-Rationalization
>
> and I also put the link under the working group area of the Tom's etherpad.
>
> Please, everyone, I'm looking for:
>
> ·short term reduction of pain points (where would some focus on format,
> content and/or levels during Kilo help the most?)
>
> ·Longer term: standards, automated verification through git review
> (hacking, etc), review list additions, etc.
>
> ·Volunteers:  specifications, bugs, documentation, coding, repairing code
>
> And I want to say folks, I feel your pain.  I come from a QA and
> operations background in large, mission critical, distributed systems
> and logs have always been my best friends **and** the bane of my
> existence when they don’t have what you need.  I get it.  I want to help
> fix it.

I'm also looking forward to cleaning up the logging in OpenStack projects.

May I suggest on the etherpad that we take an approach of listing
*specific* log messages that we (devs doing debugging and operators
doing diagnostics/operations) find less than useful?

I think if we keep the etherpad focused on specific log messages, we can
then start to identify:

  * changes to those log messages (structure, level, audience, payload, etc)
  * log message "archetypes" that we can then use to generalize into
best practice documentation on the wiki (to add to what is already there
[1])

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

-jay

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LoggingStandards