[Openstack-operators] Issues with hybrid neutron ml2/ovs-agent ports after Icehouse upgrade

Daniele Venzano daniele.venzano at eurecom.fr
Sat Oct 4 07:21:55 UTC 2014

Il 04/10/2014 01:19, Michael Dorman ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> Wanted to share details of an issue we just discovered around hybrid
> ml2/ovs configuration under Icehouse.

> Specifically, the problem is that in the neutron.ml2_port_bindings
> table, instances created before the upgrade had this for vif_details:
>
>     {"port_filter": true}

I had the same kind of troubles during the Havana/ovs to Icehouse/ML2
upgrade. But the end result is a bit different for me, the old VMs start
correctly and have network connectivity, but they do not have the bridge
interposed before OVS (so security groups do not get applied).
If I add the missing properties in the mysql table, sometimes ports are
not created, or they have wrong VLAN tags, meaning there is some other
state corrupted somewhere, but I cannot find it.

I am quite sure that the database upgrade script distributed with
Neutron for Icehouse was not tested under even the most simple Havana
configurations. I have a very standard Ubuntu-KVM-OVS setup and I had
that script throw so many exceptions in my face that I had to debug it
line by line. The upgrade documentation, I am sorry to say, is a joke.
There is not even a hint on what to look for if some step fails or how
to check that the upgrade was successful.

With Juno, if we decide to install it, I will probably install from
scratch, I will do no more upgrades for a while, the process is too
unreliable.