[Openstack-operators] Operations project: Packaging

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 14:19:28 UTC 2014

>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Craig Tracey <craig at craigtracey.com
>> <mailto:craig at craigtracey.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Great input Kris.  We also took a look at Anvil, and as you
>>     mention it is heavily biased for RH based distros.
>>
>>     With regard to your requirements:
>>     1) Under the cover for Giftwrap we use fpm for package creation,
>>     so debs and rpms are merely a flag to toggle.
>>

>> During the Paris session someone specifically mentioned they didn't
>> want to use fpm, and wanted plain spec files instead. If that person
>> is on this list, or if there's anyone else in that position, care to
>> elaborate? Is there a specific limitation people are concerned about?
>
> We get this request pretty commonly - the most common use case I hear
> like this is people who want to start with a "reference" build (RDO /
> OSP, UCA, etc) and minimally customize. So they want to stay with the
> original spec or debian/* packaging and tweak, vs package de novo

Yes. We do this, and it's much better, than thinking about 'how to split
one neutron to bunch of different packages'. Repackaging is mostly or
bugfixes (hello from havana - we still backporing fixes from
juno/icehouse), or minor changes for own needs (like 'strict host
isolation' filter) - and 'do it from scratch' is too heavy.