[Openstack-operators] [Nova] Handling soft delete for instance rows in a new cells database

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Nov 24 22:20:27 UTC 2014

Heya,

Review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/135644/4 proposes the addition
of a new database for our improved implementation of cells in Nova.
However, there's an outstanding question about how to handle soft
delete of rows -- we believe that we need to soft delete for forensic
purposes.

This is a new database, so its our big chance to get this right. So,
ideas welcome...

Some initial proposals:

 - we do what we do in the current nova database -- we have a deleted
column, and we set it to true when we delete the instance.

 - we have shadow tables and we move delete rows to a shadow table.

 - something else super clever I haven't thought of.

Ideas?

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia