[Openstack-operators] Operations project: Packaging

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 11:58:17 UTC 2014

On 18/11/14 06:16, Michael Chapman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Packaging was one of the biggest points of interest in the Friday Paris
> meeting, and I'd like to use this thread to have a centralised
> discussion and/or argument regarding whether there is a packaging system
> that is flexible enough that we can adopt it as a community and reduce
> the fragmentation. This conversation began in Paris, but will likely
> continue for some time.
>
> The Friday session indicates that as operators we have common requirements:
>
> A system that takes the sources from upstream projects and produces
> artifacts (packages or images).
>
> There are numerous projects that have attempted to solve this problem.
> Some are on stackforge, some live outside. If you are an author or a
> user of one of these systems, please give your opinion.

To throw another project into the mix, I've been working on building
master packages with delorean[1] for a last few months(currently
building for fedora but planning on adding more), the specs being
uses are based off the RDO packaging.

The plan we're slowly working towards will be to allow this packaging
hopefully become the upstream of the RDO packaging for the released
projects. We're also hoping to allow contributions from the whole RDO
community via gerrithub [2].

If anybody is interested the packaging we are maintaining is on
github[3], with a yum repository being created for every commit into the
monitored openstack projects[4]

So ya count me in for any discussions happening.

[1] https://github.com/openstack-packages/delorean
[2] https://review.gerrithub.io/
[3] https://github.com/openstack-packages
[4] http://209.132.178.33/repos/report.html (DNS pending)