[Openstack-operators] Operations project: Packaging

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Wed Nov 19 23:31:17 UTC 2014

To get around the PBR versioning issue right now we use annotated tags for
each "release" that we build and then we update the release number inside
anvil for that component to be one higher than the current package. So
that we get sanely tagged/versioned packages.

For example, our version of nova compute is:
openstack-nova-compute-2014.1.2.5.gdicehouse.2-5.  Where gdicehouse-5 is
the current build off of our 2014.1.2.5 branch.  Which is has patches that
we are carrying that are based on top of 2014.1.2.  The next build will
most likely be: openstack-nova-compute-2014.1.2.5-gdicehouse.2-6.

We actually have some automation around the incrementing the version
number that was tied into our specific infrastructure so it wasn't manual.
 Also, I don¹t know why PBR only supports annotated tags vs's lightweight
tags - the fix for that iirc is/was pretty trivial.

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy, LLC.