[Openstack-operators] Proposal for an 'Operations' project

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Mon Nov 10 19:52:12 UTC 2014

So, how about maintaining a set of pointers to the github repos where we are all working ?

We publish and maintain http://github.com/cernops in the open. This is for anything that is CERN specific or has a sustainability level such that we would not automatically recommend it to others. If it is of interest to everyone, we submit it back to the community.

As an example, https://github.com/cernops/openstack-image-tools shows the patches we’re doing for building images. Anyone can use this to build their tools but we are not proposing these as the ‘only’ solution as a project would imply.

For me, there is a need for code publication without commitment to support. Asking operators to commit to support outside of their ‘day-jobs’ where the return on investment (i.e. high quality contributions and enhancements back) has not been proven is a lot to ask.

Tim