[Openstack-operators] OpenStack Storage Backend: Sheepdog, Ceph, or GlusterFS

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Mon Nov 10 14:12:31 UTC 2014

> About GlusterFS, I found a blog talked about Gluster limitation and
> want to share it with others:
>
> https://shellycloud.com/blog/2013/09/why-glusterfs-should-not-be-implemented-with-openstack

It's unfortunate that that blog post appears in so many gluster+openstack
google searches.

As per the comments in that blog: It's full of inaccuracies. For example,
the blog mentions the inability to snapshot a volume. I believe the author
is confusing native Gluster snapshotting versus snapshotting in OpenStack.

Please see this Cinder driver matrix and you will see that Gluster is a
fully functional driver:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CinderSupportMatrix

I'm definitely not trying to push Gluster. If Ceph works for you, that's
awesome. But I just wanted to comment on the inaccuracies of that blog post.