[Openstack-operators] [Nova] Request feedback about improvement of nova API policy configuration

Alex Xu xuhj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Nov 10 08:11:04 UTC 2014

Hi, Operators,

There are some complain about nova policy configuration is hard to use.
I'm plan to improve it.
So I wrote down several improvement at specs:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/128560/4/specs/kilo/approved/the-end-goal-of-api-policy.rst

But I still hope to get feedback from Operators about those improvement
is really easy your life.
And after we improvement those policy stuff, it need upgrade your policy
configuration when you
upgrade the code. Also hope those won't bring too much trouble to you.

For reduce the pain when upgrade, the basic rule is we try to keep the
nova V2 REST API work
as before. Because it will be depreciated after we have V2.1 API. For v2
api, it only a few update
because we remove some db layer hard-code permission checks. For EC2 and
v2.1 api, there
will be a lot of change, because the policy name is changed. But I guess
there isn't anyone run
v2.1 api now. The more detail is describe in the specs. Thanks for any
feedback!

Thanks
Alex