[Openstack-operators] OpenStack Storage Backend: Sheepdog, Ceph, or GlusterFS

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 00:23:20 UTC 2014

On 6 November 2014 13:01, Hossein Zabolzadeh <zabolzadeh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your opinion. But I am looking for the real difference
> between them...
> - Which one is better support in openstack?
> - Which one provides better unified storage backend for all openstack
> storage controllers(cinder, swift and glance)?

I don't think that Gluster or Sheepdog provide a storage back-end capable
of providing block storage (cinder) and object storage (swift) back-ends.
Only Ceph provides a properly unified back-end for both. Ceph has also been
supported for cinder for over two years - it's very mature. The Rados
Gateway (Object Storage/Swift Interface) is much more recent, but I have
yet to see problems with it - as long as you do acknowledge that it is not
Swift.