[Openstack-operators] Proposal for an 'Operations' project

Richard Raseley richard at raseley.com
Thu Nov 6 15:43:03 UTC 2014

openstack-operators-request at lists.openstack.org wrote:
> Hi Operators!
>
> I felt like OpenStack didn't have enough projects, so here's another one.
>
> During the summit I feel like I'm repeatedly having the same conversations
> with different groups about bespoke approaches to operational tasks, and
> wrapping these in a project might be a way to promote collaboration on them.
>
> Off the top of my head there's half a dozen things that might belong here:
>
>   - Packaging tooling (spec files/fpm script/whatever)
>   - (Ansible/other) playbooks for common tasks
>   - Log aggregation (Logstash/Splunk) filters and tagging
>   - Monitoring (Nagios) checks
>   - Ops dashboards
>
> There's also things that*might*  belong here but maybe not:
>
>   - Chef/Puppet/Ansible/Salt OpenStack config management modules
>
> Today  these are generally either wrapped up in products from various
> companies, or in each company's github repo.
>
> For those of you who are still around at the design summit and don't have
> plans fortomorrow,  how about wemeet on Friday  morning at the large white
> couch in the meridian foyerat 9am?  Let's see what we can sort out.
>
> Thanks!

Michael,

I'd be very interested to hear the outcome of this discussion shared
back to the list. Though I don't know that this would be appropriate for
a full-blown OpenStack project (in the traditional sense) you are
definitely correct that people need more prescriptive guidance around
these areas.

Regards,

Richard Raseley

Technical Operations Engineer @ Puppet Labs