[Openstack-operators] Proposal for an 'Operations' project

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Nov 6 15:33:24 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Michael Chapman's message of 2014-11-06 12:20:52 +0100:
> Hi Operators!
>
> I felt like OpenStack didn't have enough projects, so here's another one.
>
> During the summit I feel like I'm repeatedly having the same conversations
> with different groups about bespoke approaches to operational tasks, and
> wrapping these in a project might be a way to promote collaboration on them.
>
> Off the top of my head there's half a dozen things that might belong here:
>
>  - Packaging tooling (spec files/fpm script/whatever)
>  - (Ansible/other) playbooks for common tasks
>  - Log aggregation (Logstash/Splunk) filters and tagging
>  - Monitoring (Nagios) checks
>  - Ops dashboards
>
> There's also things that *might* belong here but maybe not:
>
>  - Chef/Puppet/Ansible/Salt OpenStack config management modules
>
> Today these are generally either wrapped up in products from various
> companies, or in each company's github repo.

Except in the case of TripleO which is available as an official
OpenStack project.

I think we're at a point where we're far more open than we've ever been
before to the idea of collaborating with many different tools and
approaches. So, would you entertain the idea of participating in the "Deployment"
program rather than starting smoething new?

> For those of you who are still around at the design summit and don't have
> plans for tomorrow, how about we meet on Friday morning at the large white
> couch in the meridian foyer at 9am? Let's see what we can sort out.

You're more than welcome in the TripleO meetup tomorrow in Gaughin.