[Openstack-operators] Configuring local instance storage

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Fri May 9 06:13:29 UTC 2014

We are using KVM.
What I noticed on the hypervisor was that it was actually doing lots of reads when doing the benchmark on QCOW2 images.
I simulated a MYSQL workload on the OS, I created a 20GB file and doing 100% random 16K write IOPS in it.
On QCOW we got about 600 IOPS on RAW about 5000.
With RAW we did no reads when writing while with QCOW I saw 100MB+ reads per second.
I would be happy to know if we can improve this somehow :)

We are monitoring the lifetime of the SSDs and will do some preventive swapping:
There are lifetime estimations you can read from the SSDs.
Luckily the array controller we have lets us query those stats per disk even if they are in RAID :)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen