[Openstack-operators] All in a box: Neutron unable to provide internet access?

Giuseppe Civitella giuseppe.civitella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 11:10:14 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I trying to perform an Openstack installation in a single box. Everything
went fine except for virtual machines' internet access. I'm able spawn
machine that can ping each other but cannot ping the gateway or have
internet access for those vms.
Looking for mode documentation I've found this:

http://wiki.stackinsider.com/index.php/Native_Stack_-_Single_Node_using_Neutron_GRE_-_Havana#Enable_IP_forwarding

which says, at the end of the page:
Unsupported issue
OpenStack Network
After Neutron network is initialized properly, the created virtual machines
are capable of communicating with each other,
however, it is not possible to access Internet inside the virtual machine,
due to the lack of nested Neutron support from OpenStack.

Is that true? There is no way of having a fully functional Neutron running
in just one box? Should I use nova-network instead?

Thanks a lot
Giuseppe